Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
The classic flourless chocolate cake by Elizabeth David. Needs no tweakin', just eatin' Get the best chocolate and the freshest eggs and it's a no-brainer. This is the cake my 5 yo nephew always asks my sister for and ALL the boys demolish it!!
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Melt chocolate, sugar & butter in a double boiler of your invention
- Remove from the heat and stir thoroughly to combine. Mix in the almonds, then beat in egg yolks one by one.
- Beat the whites to stif peaks then fold those in also. It helps to mix in about a quarter of the egg to the mix first to lighten it, then fold in the remainder.
- Turn into a greased and floured cake tin - 20cm round or square. Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Cool in the tin before placing on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve to assembled amazed guests.
I love Elizabeth David's cookbooks, so I knew this recipe would have to be good, and I wasn't disappointed. The cake has an intense chocolate flavour but it's not sickly sweet. I froze half the cake in slices so I wouldn't eat it all on the day I baked it. It's very good to eat straight from the freezer too - the texture becomes more dense upon freezing, but it's still fantastic. I'll be making this again!
This cake really is a classic. It doesn't use any unusual ingredients, is easy to make and tastes great. It's also very good with some proper cream on the side.