Recipe by EliteTwig
This is an ideal recipe for some finger food, a party or even kids lunch boxes. Light and creamy as well as low fat!! Cheap as well as it works out as £1.12 per portion (4 people).
Top Review by less2saw
Made for PAC Spring 2009 with Recipe #197523 crust. The idea really appealed to me, but I found that the quanities weren't quite as indicated (I work in Imperial so that may have contributed). This recipe yielded me 22 mini pies. I also found that the "sauce" instructions were abit vague. I blended the cream cheese with the creme fraiche (which I made because they don't sell it in my town). I made 1/2 the pies as shown in the recipe, then made additional sauce for the balance as I found the first batch to be a bit dry. I would use 1 1/2 times the amount of sauce shown f I make them again. This is a very mushroomy pie that appealed to my DH, but was more than I enjoy. I also found the sauce to be quite rich. I would just use a bechemel sauce in future because I found the sauce overpowering. Overall, this was quite tasty, a bit too much work to not be completely wowed though. I'll post photos later
- 200 g sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- 300 g cubed ham, 1cm cubes
- 100 g peas
- 50 g low-fat cream cheese
- 50 g low-fat creme fraiche
- 500 g shortcrust pastry
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180C / Gas Mark 4.
- In a frying pan, saute the Mushrooms with Olive Oil for 4-5 minutes.
- Drain, place in large bowl. Add Ham, Peas, Creme Fraiche Mix and Season.
- Roll out the pastry to 0.5cm thick. Using a 8cm x 9cm round cutter, cut 8 out and line an 8-hole muffin tin.
- Spoon a teaspoon of mixture into each mould.
- With rest of pastry, using a 8cm x 7cm round cutter cut 8 rounds for the tops.
- Brush the edges of the pie bases with egg. Place each top on the pie and pinch edges together to seal.
- Brush the pie tops with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve Hot or Cold.