1/1 Photo of Elitetwig's English Golden Christmas Cake
2 hrs 20 mins
A good old English Recipe, ideal for those who are not keen on the rich, bitty darl traditional Christmas Cake. This was a first time for me, so I went for a lighter, more golden and less bitty but fruity Christmas Cake recipe from my nan, who is enjoying Christmas not on thie earth.
My Private Note
8 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 6 ounces caster sugar (for diabetics use a substitute ie splenda)
- 1 1/2 cups raisins (prefer raisins to sultanas)
- 1 cup glace cherries, washed dried and quartered
- 2 cups mixed peel
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces margarine or 6 ounces softened butter
- 10 tablespoons milk or 10 tablespoons soya milk
- 1 teaspoon almond essence (or any alcohol to same amount)
- 1Grease and linesides and base, with greaseproof paper, an 8 inch round cake tin.
- 2Set the oven to warm, Gas Mark 3 / 325F / 160°C.
- 3In a large mixing bowl sieve the flour, nutmeg and mixed spice together.
- 4Add all remaining ingredients to the flour.
- 5Beat together with a wooden spoon ntil the mixture is a well combined and has a soft, dropping consistency. (if too thick add tsp of milk at a time till desired effect. If to runny add tsp of flour at a time till desired effect).
- 6Spoon mixture carefully into tin.
- 7Shake to settle mixture and hollow out centre of the cake.
- 8Bake for 2 hours approximately.
- 9As oven temps vary, test half an hour before end of recommended cooking time using a skewer.
- 10Continue testing until skewer comes out clean.
- 11Leave to cool in tin, when cold turn out and wrap in greaseproof paper.
- 12Either store in an airtight tin or tightly wrap in foil.
- 13Can freeze for upto 2 months (must thaw before decorate).
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elitetwig's English Golden Christmas Cake
Serving Size: 1 (4375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 7209.0
- Calories from Fat 1474
- Total Fat 163.8 g
- Saturated Fat 32.1 g
- Cholesterol 444.3 mg
- Sodium 1946.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1427.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 357.2 g
- Sugars 301.3 g
- Protein 111.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: