Recipe by Tandy Higgins
Sweet/Crunchy salad, you will want it to be your entire dinner. I wanted an impressive, different, dinner salad when I married 18 years ago. I came across this recipe, and it has held true to the test of time. Served at Bunko last week, they loved it.
Top Review by KimmieCat1
Good salad. Made a great dinner and lunch. I did make enough to divide between dinner and lunch and my husband mistakenly added all the dressing to the dinner course, so I used a poppyseed dressing the next day and it was just as good. There was a little bit too much onion for me, so I would recommend using only half of a red onion. Thanks Bunco Babes for the recipe. Made for All Aboard the L-O-V-E Train! 2012 game.
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce, torn
- 11 ounces mandarin oranges
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small skillet, melt 3 tbsp sugar over low heat. Add almonds, stir until coated. Cool, break into small pieces and set aside.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine all ingredients except last 3, shake well.
- Just before serving combine lettuce, oranges, onions, and almonds. Shake dressing pour over salad and toss.