1/8 Photos of Elise's Quesadilla Pie
This recipe comes from Elise of Simplyrecipes: This version of a quesadilla pie is a casserole made in a pie dish with stacked flour tortillas and layers of cheesy filling, baked until browned and crispy. The beauty of quesadilla pie is that it's a great way to use up leftovers and odds and ends. The essentials are the tortillas and the cheese; after that it's up to you as to the variety and type of filling you want. Black beans are good, as are onions, chicken, tomatoes, mushrooms, or summer squash. All can be layered in with the cheese. Add as much chile as you want for heat and flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large flour tortillas (9-10 inches diameter)
- 1/2 lb cheese (shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack)
Potential filling ingredients
- beans, cooked (black beans, pinto beans)
- tomato, chopped
- summer squash, chopped
- mushroom (if using a lot, saute first, to remove moisture)
- chicken. pork (cooked and shredded) or beef (cooked and shredded)
- chilies, either from cooked green chiles, chopped pickled jalapenos or salsa
- cumin (optional for extra heat)
- chili powder (optional for extra heat)
- 1Brush butter on the bottom of the pan to keep the tortillas from sticking, and to the top of the last tortilla for flavor and to help it brown. Hint: do not skip the butter.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F Butter the bottoms and sides of a pie dish, approximately the same size as your tortillas (I used a 10-inch pyrex pie dish for 10-inch wide tortillas).
- 3Place one tortilla on the bottom of the pie dish.
- 4Sprinkle some shredded cheese over the tortilla.
- 5At this point, you will begin to add your chosen filling ingredients, and layering the tortillas.
- 6Make sure each layer has a generous sprinkling of cheese.
- 7Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- 8Put in oven for 30 minutes on 350°F
- 9Then remove the foil and increase the heat to 400°F
- 10Cook for another 15-20 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and cheese is bubbly.
- 11Remove from oven. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- 12Cut into quarters.
- 13Serve with chopped avocados, shredded lettuce, cilantro, salsa, and/or sour cream. (optional).
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elise's Quesadilla Pie
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.3
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.2 mg
- Sodium 1272.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 20.6 g