1/1 Photo of Elimination Diet Hummus
1 hr 40 mins
Houmous Monster's Note:
This isn't intended to be better than normal houmous, it just conforms to a local hospital Elimination Diet (UK) It's adjusted to eliminate the lemon juice and still be edible. It's actually alright as elimination foods go. The houmous goes well with carrots and celery as well as on rice cakes. I like the spinach version on rice cakes especially as it gives you another flavour. TEST FOOD: For testing onions you can add two tablespoons of onions to the spinach houmous. If you gain onions I'd just add one tablespoon there after.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g dried garbanzo beans (or 2 cans)
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup water, retain from cooking
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
Optional batch of Spinach Houmous
- 1Night before- If using dried peas bring the peas to a boil in 5 cups of water. Boil for three minutes, then remove from heat and cover. Leave overnight.
- 2Drain and rinse the peas (both dried & canned) in batches place on a papertowel. Run each batch over with a rolling pin. Then remove any loose skins.
- 3Once the skins are removed, place in pressure cooker with 5 cups of water. Bring to pressure and cook for 25 minutes and let pressure drop naturally.
- 4Drain the chickpeas, but make sure to retain a 1/2 cup of cooking water.
- 5Pour all the chickpeas in the food processor and add all the other ingredients. You want to blend them for about 2 minutes. The longer you blend it the smoother it is. It goes very creamy when you've got it right.
- 6The mixture will be a bit runny, it firms up as it cools.
- 7Optional: Remove about half the houmous (500-600 grams) and add the spinach and parsley. Blend again until even.
- 8Houmous is fine in the freezer just freeze in convenient portions. Then just let it thaw a couple of days in the fridge, but in a pinch the microwave can help speed things along. Just make sure to stir frequently. I'd advise using a glass container in the microwave as plastic might go funny due to the oil.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elimination Diet Hummus
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.3
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 186.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 6.2 g