1/1 Photo of Elephant Walk Sweet Beef Stew (Khar Saiko Kroeung)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 20 mins
A recipe from cambodian restaurant "Elephant Walk", spicy with a slight sweetness to it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless top round beef, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup peeled thinly sliced gingerroot (about 2 ounces)
- 3 dried New Mexico chiles, soaked, seeded and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1Put the beef in a medium bowl. Grind the ginger slices with a mortar and pestle, adding them a few at a time until you have extracted most of the juice, or use a mini-chop to make a wet paste. Squeeze the juice from the fibers (you should have 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons) and stir it into the beef; discard the ginger solids. Let the beef marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, make the paste: Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are released, about 2 minutes. Stir in the beef, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, salt, pepper and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the liquid is reduced by half, about 40 minutes.
- 4Add the coconut and tamarind juices and cook for another 20 minutes. If the sauce is too thin at this point, increase the heat and reduce further; the sauce should be fairly thick.
- 5Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve with cucumber slices and rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elephant Walk Sweet Beef Stew (Khar Saiko Kroeung)
Serving Size: 1 (600 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 617.8
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 138.3 mg
- Sodium 1584.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 50.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mushroom soy sauce