Prep 24 hrs
Cook 8 mins
grandchildren loves these
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- spoon sour cream into a 1 cup measuring cup and add only enough buttermilk to equal 1 cup total --
- pour into a large mixing bowl, add egg, salt and melted butter -- mix well.slowly add flour, baking soda and combine well.
- turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- let stand for 3 hours or leave in refrigerator overnight.
- divide into desired serving size -- I usually just pull of about a golf ball size.
- roll each piece out to 1/4" thickness.
- cut slits in center of each piece, leaving 2 halves joined at the top to make the ears.
- pour oil in a deep skillet.to depth of 1".
- heat oil to 375* --
- fry dough in hot oil till golden brown on both sides.
- sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon --
- sometimes I have additional melted butter.to brush on hot "ear" and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.makes the mixture stick better --
- makes about 4-6 elephant ears.