Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Got this recipe from our local paper, many years ago. It is quick and good, another family favorite. Can be made with bottled pre-squeezed orange juice, but fresh orange juice is better.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes (diced or pureed)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup cream (heavy or whipping)
- Sautee onions in butter, in soup pot until transparent.
- Add canned tomatoes with their juice, salt, pepper, baking soda and dried thyme.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add orange juice and cream, heat through and serve, hot.
Oh my thus is really tasty soup! I had my first cup this evening at elephants and let me tell you; yum yum yum.... Truly enjoyed this soup... So much that I'm hear looking for the recipe and writing a review.
I have had this many, many times at Elephants Delicatessen and it is my favorite soup!!! I have made it before and this recipe is fantastic, it is very close to the Deli's--I will be perfecting it to get even closer. An absolute must try if you love tomato soup!