Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from my good friend, Elena. Makes a yummy pot of black-eyed peas. Peas need to soak overnight.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried black-eyed peas
- 2 lbs bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and tomatoes chopped up
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Wash peas and drain.
- Place peas in a large pot.
- Cover with water 2-inches above peas; let soak overnight.
- In a big skillet, cook sausage, stirring to crumble, until sausage is browned.
- Add in onion and garlic; cook until tender; drain well.
- Drain peas and return to large pot; add in sausage and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and lower heat.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add additional water if necessary.