Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Keen5 posted this in a request thread for school chili. I asked her to post it to the the site so I could save it to my cookbook because I think it sounds delicious and she was kind enough to let me post it as my first recipe on Recipezaar! Thanks, Keen5!!
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) canmild chili beans, crushed
- 7 cups water
- Brown the ground chuck in skillet and pour off excess grease.
- Stir in flour and brown sugar.
- Combine tomatoes, tomato paste, and chili beans.
- Place all ingredients into a 2 quart cooking pot, adding the onions, chili powder and salt.
- Cook over low heat for at least 2 hours.
I should have gotten a clue from the title! We thought it too sweet, and I did doctor it up a touch with more chili powder and a dash of cumin. I baked it in the oven in my dutch oven, uncovered, for four hours as it was quite thin, and we like chili chunky and thick. Still, it would be a great chili for children, they'd gobble it up, I'm sure! Thanks for posting! Made for Fall PAC 2012
I made this last night in my crockpot, and the kids and my DH really liked it they don't like my usual chili I like and say it's to spicy, if you are cooking it in a crockpot I would use 1/2 the water it says and wait on the flour until the last hour or so of cooking adding it shaken up with some water then turning it to high or you will have soupy chili. I plan on making this again and again!