1/2 Photos of Elegant Tarragon and Tomato Butter Tea Sandwiches
1 hr 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
These delightful and rather unusual tea sandwiches combine the delicate French herb tarragon, with ripe tomatoes, garlic and shallots – a change from the usual basil and tomatoes. The tomatoes are gently poached with all the seasonings until a thick puree or butter is obtained; the tomato butter is then cooled and you are left with a wondrous sandwich filling, bursting with flavour and colour! The butter can be used for all manner of things, including a topping for a pizza or for toasted sandwiches. Use fresh bread, white or wholemeal, and garnish with fresh tarragon leaves. Any excess butter can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge. NB: Prep time includes chilling time for the butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the olive oil in a small pan and fry the shallots and garlic until soft.
- 2Add the tomatoes to the shallots with the tarragon. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced to a thick pulp.
- 3Press through a sieve and leave to cool. Once cold, beat the purée slowly into the softened butter.
- 4Season, and make into sandwiches with the white bread. Cut into fingers or triangles and serve as part of an afternoon tea, or a picnic lunch!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elegant Tarragon and Tomato Butter Tea Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 616.3
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 60.5 mg
- Sodium 850.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 9.1 g