Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This spinach souffle has hints of chicken stock and lemon in addition to the spinach flavor. Serve for lunch for two or for dinner for four as a side dish!
- 1 tablespoon butter, for the dish (not margarine)
- 1 tablespoon flour, for the dish
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use the initial amounts of butter and flour to grease and flour a souffle dish.
- Cook the spinach according to the package instructions. In a strainer, press all possible liquid out of spinach. Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and cook the spinach over low heat for 5 more minutes to drive off any additional moisture. Remove spinach to mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in flour to make a roux. Add chicken stock and milk, beating constantly, to make a thick sauce. Add spinach and lemon juice to the saucepan.
- Separate 5 eggs. Mix the yolks into the spinach mixture and set aside. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks but are not "dry." Take a heaping serving spoon of the egg whites and fold into spinach mixture just until combined. Fold the spinach mixture gently into the egg whites and put the mixture in the souffle dish.
- Bake 35-40 minutes (souffle should appear cooked and not wobble when the souffle dish is shaken slightly).