This makes a to die for super rich seafood bisque, chocked full of seafood such as shrimp, crab, salmon, clams and cod and is lower carb than most,due to no potatoes. Hint for low carbers: use Wondra "instant flour" and all you will need is about 1 or 2 TBS to thicken. The original recipe was obtained from a local restaurant.
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced shallot
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 quart water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 1 (14 ounce) can baby clams, with juice
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked shrimp, cleaned, shelled, deveined
- 1⁄3 lb cod, boneless, leave in one piece
- 1⁄3 lb salmon, skinless, boneless, leave in one piece
- 2⁄3 lb cooked crabmeat, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- salt and pepper
- Sauté minced shallots in butter until soft.
- Add the flour and stir with whisk for 5 minutes on low heat, set aside.
- Bring one quart of water to a boil and add chicken base, clams, crab, shrimp and whole pieces of salmon and cod.
- Return to boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain the stock, reserving the seafood.
- Stir the shallot mixture into the stock.
- Add the heavy cream and half and half to the stock, bring to a simmer on low heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Chunk the salmon and cod and add all of the seafood back into the soup pot.
- Add the sherry and heat through, no more than 3 minutes.
This recipe turned out AMAZING!! I would consider myself a level 1 intermediate cook, so I had to figure out what the heck is mince, shallots, and chicken base. Fortunately, with some help at my local health food store I found everything that I needed and followed the directions to the tee. Keep in mind this soup requires a Large pot that can hold at least 4 1/2 quarts (just in case some novice cooks wanted to know). I also added some cayenne pepper and cilantro for a little kick. It was super easy to make and tasted SUPER GOOD!
I WISH I could l give this more stars! Brilliancy! Perfect! I want to tell you I did NOT follow this to the tee, because I didn't have all those wonderful ingredients on hand. But I was really craving some seafood bisque. All I had was shrimp and clams. NO scallions.. only YELLOW onions, and I added mushrooms. I didn't even have Half and Half.. I substituted evaporated milk! And for the sherry I did plain white cooking wine.. but let me tell you, this is BY FAR THE BEST recipe I have tasted! Or at least followed in guidelines with. For the person who is considering using this: IF you don't have everything, it's okay! substitute! If your substitute is wonderful, the real recipe is "OH SO MUCH BETTER!"
This is the best seafood soup I ever had!!! It's so good that it should come with a warning!!! Very addictive!!! If you love seafood, then you'll definitely love this recipe!!!