Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This make ahead comes from a Byerly's cookbook. Refrigerate overnight and pop in the oven in time for dinner. I like to boil the red potatoes 2 days ahead, to eliminate the mushy factor. And notice how it bakes at 350 degrees instead of a higher temperature.
- Boil potatoes in jackets, cool in refrigerator.
- Peel and shred using medium grater.
- Shred cheese with same grater.
- Butter 2 quart casserole.
- Alternate layers of potatoes and cheese in casserole; sprinkle with salt.
- Pour cream over potato cheese layers.
- Combine crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Refrigerate, covered.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven until heated through, 55-65 minutes.
I started using this recipe after my husband grandmother showed it to me when we first started dating. It is a wonderful recipe that is very easy to make. I always use American cheese grated instead because that's how my husband likes it. Nice to see some Byerly's recipes on here! Thanks for posting this great old recipe!
Simple and yummy! I used leftover baked potatoes and sliced them. I heated the cream and melted the cheese into it with salt & black pepper, then poured it over top. I also opted to leave out the breadcrumb topping this time around and added thinly sliced red onion for added flavor. A very versatile recipe, it was enjoyed by all. Thanks for sharing. :)