Recipe by WiGal
This make ahead comes from a Byerly's cookbook. Refrigerate overnight and pop in the oven in time for dinner. I like to boil the red potatoes 2 days ahead, to eliminate the mushy factor. And notice how it bakes at 350 degrees instead of a higher temperature.
Top Review by livie
I started using this recipe after my husband grandmother showed it to me when we first started dating. It is a wonderful recipe that is very easy to make. I always use American cheese grated instead because that's how my husband likes it. Nice to see some Byerly's recipes on here! Thanks for posting this great old recipe!
- 7 -8 red potatoes or 2 1⁄4 lbs red potatoes
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint whipping cream (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes in jackets, cool in refrigerator.
- Peel and shred using medium grater.
- Shred cheese with same grater.
- Butter 2 quart casserole.
- Alternate layers of potatoes and cheese in casserole; sprinkle with salt.
- Pour cream over potato cheese layers.
- Combine crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Refrigerate, covered.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven until heated through, 55-65 minutes.