Recipe by Sharon123
This makes for delicious hors d'oeuvres or a wonderful sandwich on a baguette or whole-grain bread! This also makes a great spread for sandwiches, crackers, or just stand in front of the refrigerator with a spoon! Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook. Enjoy! Recipe hails from England and France.
- 2 cups grated mild cheddar cheese (I like to use sharp)
- 1 cup neufchatel cheese or 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pimiento or 1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1⁄2 cup minced celery (I mince mine in the food processor)
- 2 scallions, white part only, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, whirl the cheddar cheese, Neufchatel, lemon juice, and water for 3 or 4 minutes, until very smooth.
- Transfer the cheese mixture to a bowl and stir in the pimientos, celery, and scallions.
- If mixed in the spread, the pecans become soft after a couple of hours, so add them just before serving or just sprinkle them on top of each serving.
- This spread will keep for 4 or 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Note: To toast pecans spread in a single layer on an unoiled baking sheet at 350*F.
- for 5 to 10 minutes, until fragrant and golden brown.