Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Really pretty presentation, and yummy too!
Make and share this Elegant Mushroom-Squash Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 flaky pastry dough (frozen, 1 lb 10 oz)
- 6 squash
- 2 large onions (diced)
- 3 tablespoons oil (to saute onions)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans mushrooms (drained)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup matzo meal
- 3 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 3 eggs
- salt, to taste (if needed)
- 1 dash paprika
- 1 beaten egg (to brush pies)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Roll out dough and press into three 9-inch round baking pans. (Reserve some of the dough to form lattice top on pies.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel, slice, and cook squash until tender. Saute onions in oil for 10-15 minutes. Mix onions with mushrooms and add squash. Continue to saute until all vegetables are soft. Add the remaining ingredients, except paprika, and mix.
- Pour mixture over dough in baking pans. Sprinkle some paprika for color. Use reserved dough to form lattice design on top of pies. Brush pies with beaten egg.
- Bake pies for 30-40 minutes.
- Note: Pies can be decorated around rim of baking pan with a thin braid formed of dough.
This was easy to scale down to one pie. I used a mix of zucchini and yellow squash just for a mix of colors. Reminded me a bit of squash casserole in a pie. Might add some cheese next time to give it a bit more creaminess. Thanks for sharing!