Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
When strawberries are at their peak, this is a beautiful, light ending to any dinner. Because of it's color, it's especially appropriate for Valentine's Day. Cooking time includes 2-3 hours chilling time. For a fat-free dessert, omit the crust. Make the layers in individual parfait glasses, and garnish as for the pie.
- 2 9-inch pie shells, baked
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 16 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, washed,dried & sliced,reserving 16 whole strawberries for garnish
- Bake pie shells according to package directions for a pie that will have refrigerated filling.
- In saucepan mix cornstarch, gelatin mix, pudding mix and sugar.
- Add 1 cup water and 1 cup milk, stirring to wet the dry ingredients.
- Add cream cheese, cut into chunks, and cook on low, stirring with whisk until cream cheese melts and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in remaining cup of milk, stirring with a whisk to blend well.
- Pour 1/4 of sauce into each pie shell; cover with 1/4 of sliced strawberries, pressing the berries into the sauce.
- Repeat procedure making a second layer of sauce in each pie shell, ending with strawberries on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill until pies are set- several hours.
- Just before serving, top each slice with a little fat-free non-dairy topping and one whole strawberry for garnish.
- NOTE: This can be made with raspberry gelatin mix and fresh raspberries.
- I've even made it with peach gelatin and fresh peaches (dipped in lemon juice to prevent discoloration), and drained.
This was a very smooth and creamy dessert. Reading the recipe, I had thought that this would be "cheesecake-like". The texture wasn't as dense as I had thought it would be. I followed the recipe except for using sugar free Jello instead of regular gelatin (I used regular instant pudding though). I think that this probably affected how the filling "set" in the pie shell. The filling didn't really set very well for me. The pie was very tasty nonetheless. I think that I will make this again and put it into parfait glasses instead of a pie shell. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
I followed all except I used kiwi and the strawberries. Then brushed red current jam over fruit.Creamy good.