Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious, chewy bar that is easy to make. Lovely and lemony, this dish can be served cold, or reheated for a lovely desert or tea party snack.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted if desired
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter (do not soften)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius.).
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Stir together the 1 1/2 cups of flour with the 1/2 cup sugar.
- Cut or"pull" butter into the bowl with a fork.
- Blend with hands until mixture is soft and resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- If the dough does not completely spread, add more of the dough into the holes and press in.
- Bake for ten minutes.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the two eggs with the cup of sugar.
- Add the three tablespoons of flour, the 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and blend well.
- Mix in the lemon juice.
- When it is lightly brown, remove the bottom of the bars from the oven, and pour the lemon mixture immediately into it.
- Sprinkle the remaining dough atop the lemon gently.
- Carefully place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bars from the oven and spread dough on top around gently.
- Replace in the oven for five to seven minutes and remove when bars are golden brown.
- Let cool for five minutes, and then remove bars from the pan.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- If desired, reheat in the microwave for two minutes after cutting into one-inch squares.
First of all I didn't know how much a cup was, It didn't taste very nice it had a tangy lemon taste, that was really strong.