Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
An easy, romantic and elegant dish to make with chicken breasts, which are gently poached in a lavender infused broth and then served with a creamy shallot and lemon sauce. Use low fat creme fraiche or cream if you are watching your fat intake - it works just as well. Serve these delightful lavender poached chicken breasts with wild rice, pasta or new potatoes and mange tout. This recipe is for two people - but the ingredients can be increased with ease!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 300 ml good chicken stock
- 10 drops lavender, cooking essence or 1 teaspoon culinary lavender flowers
- 15 g butter
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- fresh lavender flowers (to garnish)
- Place the stock and lavender essence in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add the chicken breasts and return to boil and poach for 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken to a dish and keep warm while making the sauce. Pour the stock into a jug.
- Melt the butter in the pan and soften the shallot gently for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle on the cornflour and stir to mix.
- Gradually add the stock and stir while bringing to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then add the creme fraiche, salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes. Add lemon juice and season to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, garnish each chicken breast with some lavender flowers and serve with wild rice or pasta; new potatoes and mange tout would also be good.
Ridiculously delicious!! This would be great for company, too!
Wow! This was a fabulous and easy recipe! For the sauce, I didn't remove the broth from the pan, just added the shallots and butter to it. I needed a bit more liquid so I added some water and a little heavy cream. It was so wonderful. I served over rice with a side of green beans. This one is going into my favorites cookbook!