1/2 Photos of Elegant Japanese Soup
Be sure to use clear full flavored broth. Personally I like to add the carrots & mushrooms into the bowl of steaming broth without simmering them first , personal preference. This is such an attractive, easy to make, light soup that is just perfect for the start of an Oriental meal or with any meal. Substitute strands of cooked Chicken instead of the seafood. See footnore at bottom of recipe for clarifying broth
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups clear chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce (or use the Japanese Soy)
- 5 tablespoons med dry sherry (or Madeira wine)
- 6 green onions, cleaned,white part with 1 inch of green left on
- 6 mushrooms, cleaned thinly sliced,stems removed (Use 1" mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup carrot, thinly sliced on the diagonal (slices apprx 1" across)
- 6 slices lemons
- 12 medium prawns
- 12 small scallops or 6 large scallops, cut in half
- 1Bring your broth to a boil.
- 2Add Mushrooms& Carrots simmer for 2 minutes.
- 3Add raw prawns& Scallops, simmer until the prawns are just pink.
- 4Stir in the lemon juice, Soy& Sherry.
- 5Strain the broth into 6 soup bowls and artistically arrange some carrots, mushrooms, 2 prawns, 2 scallops.
- 6a slice of lemon and a green onion in each bowl- Serve.
- 7N.B ***To clarify Broth:Whisk an egg white into one cup cool broth, Whisk this mixture into the rest of the cooled broth, heat to boiling whisking the entire time. When the broth comes to a boil remove from heat and let it rest 20 minutes. then scoop off the frothy top and you will have beautiful clear broth.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elegant Japanese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 87.6
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.0 mg
- Sodium 1375.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 9.9 g