Recipe by Barb Witherspoon
Having a dinner party and need a great vegetable side dish? This is for you! My mom gave me the recipe, and it's always been a hit whenever I serve it.
Top Review by MaggieOhio
I give this a 4 star as is, however, you can make it a 5 star and that is just what I did for Christmas with rave reviews. I used fresh whole green beans, fresh portabello mushrooms, and panko breadcrumbs for the topping. Fabulous! This is definitely elegant! No more kiddie green bean casserole for us!
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms
- 6 ounces chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain mushrooms and measure liquid, add enough chicken stock to make 1 cup.
- Saute onions gently in 3 tbsp butter for 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour.
- Add reserved mushroom liquid-chicken stock mixture and wine.
- Cook, stirring until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Combine this sauce with the mushrooms and beans.
- Turn into a greased casserole dish.
- Mix bread crumbs with melted butter.
- Sprinkle over vegetables.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.