Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Having a dinner party and need a great vegetable side dish? This is for you! My mom gave me the recipe, and it's always been a hit whenever I serve it.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain mushrooms and measure liquid, add enough chicken stock to make 1 cup.
- Saute onions gently in 3 tbsp butter for 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour.
- Add reserved mushroom liquid-chicken stock mixture and wine.
- Cook, stirring until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Combine this sauce with the mushrooms and beans.
- Turn into a greased casserole dish.
- Mix bread crumbs with melted butter.
- Sprinkle over vegetables.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
I give this a 4 star as is, however, you can make it a 5 star and that is just what I did for Christmas with rave reviews. I used fresh whole green beans, fresh portabello mushrooms, and panko breadcrumbs for the topping. Fabulous! This is definitely elegant! No more kiddie green bean casserole for us!
This was very good. I didn't have any white wine, so just used more chicken stock instead. I think this recipe would be great with some slivered almonds or chopped water chestnuts. Thanks for posting.
Barbara,This green bean casserole was just absolutely delicious,I made this sunday to go with a roast and potatoes and carrots,and we all loved it,my niece Dawn just had o have the recipe.Thanks for posting this recipe, Darlene