This cherry and cream cheese-stuffed French toast makes an elegant addition to any holiday brunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf unsliced egg bread, such as challah or 1 loaf other firm bread
- 1 1/4 cups pitted tart red cherries, drained (canned or frozen)
- 6 ounces cream cheese or 6 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- 6 beaten eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup clover honey
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional) or 2 tablespoons margarine (optional)
- grains salt (a few)
- 1FRENCH TOAST:.
- 2Trim ends from the loaf of bread and cut the bread into six 1-1/2" thick slices.
- 3To make a pocket in each slice, beginning at the top, cut lengthwise in half to within 1" of the bottom.
- 4Set aside.
- 5In a small bowl, beat 3/4 cup of cherries, cream cheese or mascarpone, whipping cream and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- 6If you like, with an electric mixer until well combined.
- 7Spread about 1/4 cup of the mixture into pocket of each slice of bread.
- 8Gently press pieces of bread together, distributing filling evenly inside pocket.
- 9Combine eggs, cinnamon and vanilla in a shallow dish.
- 10Dip bread into egg mixture to coat all sides.
- 11On a griddle or in a skillet, cook bread in hot butter or margarine over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 12Add more butter or margarine, if needed.
- 13Remove from heat and cut French toast in half diagonally, forming two triangles.
- 14Place three triangles for each serving on warm plates.
- 15Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and remaining cherries.
- 16MAPLE-PECAN SYRUP:.
- 17Melt butter or margarine, add nuts; brown lightly: remove nuts.
- 18Add maple syrup, honey, cinnamon and salt to butter in saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- 19Remove from heat and stir in pecans and cinnamon.
- 20Let cool; mixture will thicken as it cools.
- 21Serve the french toast with warm syrup and slices of apple on to, or with powdered sugar.
- 22*If you choose you can sub any kind of fruit.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elegant French Toast With Maple-Pecan Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 730.9
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 392.0 mg
- Sodium 266.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 70.7 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: