Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
An impressive beef dish for company or for two. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans almondine for a spectacular dinner presentation.
- 4 (4 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks
- salt and black pepper (to season)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup brandy, warmed
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 8 ounces pate (goose or chicken liver)
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Season steaks with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Add butter to skillet. When melted, add steaks and cook to medium-rare, about 3 min each side. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms; saute for 5 minutes. Pour brandy over and carefully ignite away from flame. Once flame is out, add lemon juice to mushrooms, transfer to a dish and keep warm.
- Add pate and cream to the skillet, wisk together until smooth. Add horseradish and combine to form sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place steaks on a serving plate, top with mushrooms and sauce.