Adapted from the New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins(authors of The Silver Palate Cookbook), this is great served on the end of crisp Belgian endive leaves, atop soft scrambled eggs for brunch, or spread on grilled peasant bread toast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prick the eggplant in several places with a fork. Place it on a microwave safe dish and cook on high, uncovered, until soft and collapsed, 10 minutes(or cook in 350* oven for about 30-45 minutes until soft). Set aside to cool.
- 2Arrange the walnut pieces on a baking sheet, and cook at 350* F. about 5-7 minutes until lightly toasted and fragrant(just stick in the oven with the eggplant). Chop fine.
- 3Scrape the eggplant flesh into a wooden or glass bowl and coarsely chop.
- 4Stir in the walnuts, onion, parsley, chile pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then slowly beat in the oil and lemon juice. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- 5Cover loosely and let stand at room temperature for several hours before serving. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elegant Eggplant (Aubergine) Caviar
Serving Size: 1 (727 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.9
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 791.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.0 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 10.5 g