Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from the New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins(authors of The Silver Palate Cookbook), this is great served on the end of crisp Belgian endive leaves, atop soft scrambled eggs for brunch, or spread on grilled peasant bread toast.
Top Review by Brit in America
Fantastic! I added toasted sunflower seeds instead of the walnut which makes it an ideal low carb, good for candida diets too phase 1. Spoon it inside a zuccini or cucumber cup!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced hot chili pepper (to taste)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Prick the eggplant in several places with a fork. Place it on a microwave safe dish and cook on high, uncovered, until soft and collapsed, 10 minutes(or cook in 350* oven for about 30-45 minutes until soft). Set aside to cool.
- Arrange the walnut pieces on a baking sheet, and cook at 350* F. about 5-7 minutes until lightly toasted and fragrant(just stick in the oven with the eggplant). Chop fine.
- Scrape the eggplant flesh into a wooden or glass bowl and coarsely chop.
- Stir in the walnuts, onion, parsley, chile pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then slowly beat in the oil and lemon juice. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Cover loosely and let stand at room temperature for several hours before serving. Makes 1 1/2 cups.