Recipe by Chris Willey
Flavorful and colorful egg salad with a Middle Eastern flair, particularly if you substitute plain yogurt for mayonnaise.
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1 finely chopped celery rib
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (You can substitute non-fat plain yogurt for the mayonnaise)
- 2 tablespoons tahini (Middle Eastern sesame seed paste found in most markets)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the eggs on to boil in a medium saucepan with about four cups of water. Let boil for ten minutes.
- While eggs are cooking, chop vegetables and place in large sized mixing bowl.
- Add spices and seasonings to top of vegetable medley. Do not stir them together yet.
- After eggs are cooked, drain water from pan and run cold water over the eggs until cool to touch.
- After eggs have cooled, chop them (don't mash them) on top of the vegetable medley. It is important that the eggs are cooled so that they do not fall apart while you are chopping them.
- Add Mayonnaise (or Plain Yogurt) and Tahini.
- Mix gently yet thoroughly. Eggs should stay chopped and not crushed.
- Serve on whole grain toast, or wrap egg salad in lettuce leaves to serve.