These custards are very pretty to serve to guests at a dinner party or to end an elegant holiday feast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat a tea kettle full of water.
- 2In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk and chocolate over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture just comes to a boil.
- 3Stir in vanilla and remove pan from heat.
- 4In a glass mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until well blended.
- 5Add the chocolate milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly.
- 6Pour the custard mixture through a very fine sieve into a 2-cup measure or a small pitcher.
- 7Divide the custard among six 1/4-cup ramekins and cover each with foil. Put the ramekins in a baking dish and add enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- 8Bake the custards on the middle rack of the oven for 25 minutes, or until just set. Transfer ramekins to a rack and cool, covered.
- 9Chill the custards, covered, for at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
- 10Serve custards garnished with whipped cream and candied violets*.
- 11NOTE: Candied (crystallized) violets can be found in some supermarkets and at specialty food shops. If you can't find candied violets, use fresh mint sprigs or raspberries instead.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elegant Chocolate Custards
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.0
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 106.9 mg
- Sodium 25.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 2.7 g