Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a nice dinner dish. I found it in a community cookbook from Long Island.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried tarragon
- 1 1⁄3 cups white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 1⁄2 cups small new potatoes
- 1 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- In a heavy dutch oven with a lid, brown chicken pieces in butter.
- Season on all sides with salt, pepper, thyme and tarragon.
- Set aside.
- Deglaze pan with 1 cup wine.
- Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/3 cup of wine.
- Add to pan.
- Return chicken to pan with onions, carrots,celery and potatoes.
- Stir lightly to coat.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add peas and mushrooms.
- Continue to cook gently until potatoes are tender.
- Remove chicken, check to make sure no pink juices are running from them.
- Stir gravy in pan, adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve with vegetables and gravy.
Fixed this yesterday for Mother's Day and it was wonderful. I used sweet vermouth for the wine, because I love the richness it gives to a dish. I didn't change anything else and it was a dish nice enough for company. Thanks, Carole