Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe took the $5,000 prize in the "Bringing it Home recipe" Contest in the Something Extra grocery circular.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- poultry seasoning
- fresh ground pepper
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cremini mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (3/4 ounce) package dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or 2 tablespoons cognac
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F Butterfly each chicken breast with a sharp knife; press open like a book.
- Season both sides with poultry seasoning and pepper and pound 1/4-inch thick between 2 sheets of plastic wrap with a meat mallet. Remove plastic wrap.
- Place equal amounts of prosciutto, cheese and mushrooms on each chicken breast; press down on cheese to compress.
- Starting from the long side, roll up chicken tightly, then roll each in a piece of parchment paper. Twist edges of parchment to seal chicken inside.
- Place seam-side down on a baking sheet; bake for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare sauce by melting 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken broth until smooth. Simmer mixture until reduced by half, stirring occasionally; remove from heat.
- Grind porcini mushrooms in a blender or food processor until they form a fine powder. Set aside 1/4 cup; save remaining for another use. Whisk 1/4 cup mushrooms, sherry, sour cream and remaining 2 tablespoons butter into sauce; simmer over low heat for a few minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from parchment and slice 1/2-inch thick. Arrange on 4 serving plates and drizzle with some of the sauce. Serve remaining sauce on the side.
Doesn't get any better than this! The sauce is very unique, made of dried, grinded porcini mushrooms, par none.