Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a delicious side dish that I make for special occasions. This makes a very thick sauce and I like to thin it a little with butter which results in a richer tasting sauce.
- 1 (1 kg) bag broccoli stem, cooked and drained (or 1 lb. bag)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oxo chicken bouillon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Place broccoli in 9x13 dish.
- In saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add flour, oxo and salt; stir to form a smooth paste.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese; stir until melted (if mixture seems too thick, add a small amount of hot, melted butter to thin).
- Add onions.
- Pour over broccoli.
- Sprinkle with cheese and paprika.
- Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
I made this recipe exactly as written. My daughter and I really liked this and gave it 5 stars, but the rest of the family didn't like it at all. Oh well, the kids aren't crazy about broccoli anyway. This is going in my list of dinner party recipes. Thanks for posting this recipe!
This is amazing!!! I used a fresh head of broccoli. I also messed up & used the entire 8oz package of cream cheese. This would mean that my sauce was thinner than what it should have been, but that didn't matter 'cuz the flavour was fantastic. My new favourite way to eat broccoli!
What a great changeup for broccoli. I used the whole broccoli, not just the stems. I also used 4 oz. of cream cheese because mine came in 8 oz. packages & I thought it simplest to halve it. Everything else was followed to a tee. It is definitely elegant enough to use at a dinner party. For those who thought the broccoli didn't get soft enough while cooking, maybe you missed in the ingredients that the broccoli should already be cooked prior to beginning the rest of the steps. Thanks for an awesome recipe!