Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is an elegant and excellent salad to take to a Potluck. Its taste is wonderful. Enjoy it.
FOR THE SALAD
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups brown rice
- 2 (6 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- slivered almonds, toasted
GARLIC AND HERB DRESSING
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1⁄2 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat water and rice to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Drain excess liquid from rice.
- Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade. Halve artichoke hearts and add to rice with peas, green pepper, green onions, tomatoes, reserved marinade, and only HALF the dressing.
- Toss well. Cover and chill. Just before serving, toss again and taste. Add some of remaining dressing, if desired. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.
- DRESSING PREPARATION:
- In a blender, puree mustard, olive oil, lemon juice garlic and herbs. With motor running, drizzle in oil to create an emulsion. Pour in a lidded jar and shake well. Refrigerate until ready to use.