Prep 2 hrs 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Perfect for November, the election month. If you hosting an election party this is a must-have. Contains whiskey. Only make is you have a lot of time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried fruit, including cranberries, golden raisins, and blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup american whiskey
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (3/4 ounce) package fast rising yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup soft unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Combine 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar with the water in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium high heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the dried fruit in a large bowl. Add the sugar mixture and whiskey; stir and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine warm water and milk.
- Combine yeast with 1 cup of whole wheat flour and combine it with the milk mixture. Sprinkle the remaining whole wheat flour on top. Set aside to allow the yeast to ferment until the yeast breaks through the surface of the flour, approximately 30 minutes.
- Lightly spray and flour an 8 inch tube pan.
- Sift together the remaining dry ingredients and set aside. Drain the fruit mixture; reserve for the syrup for later use as a glaze.
- Beat together the butter and the remaining 1 cup of granulated sugar until it is light in texture. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition. Add the flour/yeast mixture; mix until fully combined. Add the remaining sifted dry ingredients. The batter will be stiff. Stir in the drained fruit.
- Place the batter in the pan, cover, and set in a warm area to allow the cake to rise, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze: In a medium sized bowl, combine the 1 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons of the syrup reserved from the drained fruit. Stir until smooth and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes and transfer cake to a wire rack to cool. When cool, lightly brush with reserved syrup and top with glaze.