3 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Perfect for November, the election month. If you hosting an election party this is a must-have. Contains whiskey. Only make is you have a lot of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups dried fruit, including cranberries, golden raisins, and blueberries
- 1/2 cup american whiskey
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (3/4 ounce) package fast rising yeast
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soft unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1Combine 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar with the water in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium high heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2Place the dried fruit in a large bowl. Add the sugar mixture and whiskey; stir and set aside.
- 3In a medium mixing bowl, combine warm water and milk.
- 4Combine yeast with 1 cup of whole wheat flour and combine it with the milk mixture. Sprinkle the remaining whole wheat flour on top. Set aside to allow the yeast to ferment until the yeast breaks through the surface of the flour, approximately 30 minutes.
- 5Lightly spray and flour an 8 inch tube pan.
- 6Sift together the remaining dry ingredients and set aside. Drain the fruit mixture; reserve for the syrup for later use as a glaze.
- 7Beat together the butter and the remaining 1 cup of granulated sugar until it is light in texture. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition. Add the flour/yeast mixture; mix until fully combined. Add the remaining sifted dry ingredients. The batter will be stiff. Stir in the drained fruit.
- 8Place the batter in the pan, cover, and set in a warm area to allow the cake to rise, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 9Meanwhile, prepare the glaze: In a medium sized bowl, combine the 1 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons of the syrup reserved from the drained fruit. Stir until smooth and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 10Bake cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes and transfer cake to a wire rack to cool. When cool, lightly brush with reserved syrup and top with glaze.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Election Day Cake
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 674.5
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 111.9 mg
- Sodium 337.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 52.5 g
- Protein 11.3 g