Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Depression era recipe that was & is a favorite of my girls. Posting in honor of the grandmother they never knew
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup dark seedless raisins
- 2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350° .
- Grease & flour 9 x 13 pan.
- Mix together in a large bowl flour& sugar.
- Cut in with pastry blender butter or margarine.
- Measure 1 c mixture (I use a bit more): set aside.
- To crumb mix in large bowl, add and mix remaining dry ingredients Mix in raisins.
- Add buttermilk at room temperature.
- Stir until just blended.
- Spread into pan. top with reserved crumbs.
- Bake 1 hour.