Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my husband's grandmother's broccoli casserole and it is his absolute favorite! The original recipe calls for cheese whiz, but personally I prefer velveeta. You could substitute any kind of cream soup, but I like the cream of mushroom for this recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese (cubed)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the rice according to package directions. In a small pan, melt butter and saute chopped celery, and chopped onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft. In a large bowl, mix soup, milk, and cheese. Combine rice, cheese mixture, vegetables and broccoli and mix well. Pour into a small casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
The family enjoyed this tonight. I enjoyed it since it was another simple recipe to make. I used fat free cream of mushroom soup when I made this tonight. This is going into my "Make Again Cookbook". Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011