Prep 40 mins
Cook 48 hrs
- 4 large elderflower heads (picked on a sunny July day)
- 6 pints water, cold
- 2 pints boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs granulated sugar
- 2 large lemons, juice and rind of
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Do not wash the flower, but remove any insects and the thick stalks.
- Place the sugar in a very large bowl and cover with 2 pints of boiling water.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Then add 6 pints cold water, the rind and juice of the lemons, the vinegar and flowers.
- Stir well.
- Cover and leave, covered, for 48 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Strain through a fine sieve into clean bottles with screw tops.
- Leave an inch gap at the top of each bottle and screw down well.
- Leave in a cool place to mature. Nice served with ice. Ready to drink in 6 weeks but it tastes better the longer it is left.
You got it goin on Miss Strawberry Girl. To all innocent folk out there; read and heed this, make this and thou shalt rule as I do. Rock and roll. x
I made this and I love it!! It really does get very bubbly.I left it for about a week in my cellar but couldn't wait any longer!I used a few more elderflower heads as I had them and didnt want to throw them out.next year Ill make a bigger batch.