Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is my father's recipe. After many years, I finally got him to write it down. I go out in the fields about August 1st (in my area) and harvest some wild elderberries to make this delicious pie. My Grandson toke the top prize at the FFA Pie aution in 2006 with this pie.
- 946.36 ml elderberries
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 88.74 ml flour
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 29.58 ml butter
- pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- Combine berries, sugar, flour, and lemon juice in a medium sauce pan.
- Heat mixture until it just starts to boil, stirring occassionaly.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread bottom crust in a 9 inch pie pan.
- Spread berry mixture in pie shell.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Dot butter on top.
- Put top crust on and seal edges.
- Poke several vent holes in top crust.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving pie in oven, and bake for 30 minutes longer.
We love this. I doubled the recipe and still have one pie in the freezer. I used a gram cracker crust and it was very nice. A flavor all its own, but you would almost think there was chocolate in it. This was also great cold the next day and held up very well for the week we had it in the fridge as we ate two small pieces each night.
Wonderful!!! We picked (on June Mountain) and cleaned (which takes a long time because they are so little) the berries one afternoon and made the pie the next day, using a pre-made pie crust because I stink at making good pie crust. It was delicious. Reading the reviews below, I can't imagine that MartinMama used this recipe and had it come out not good. Makes me think that maybe your berries were not fully ripe. If they don't have that coated (powdered sugar) look on them - they aren't ready. Thanks for this sharing this recipe, Roger/OH - it's a winner!
Not only has this recipe become a staple in our holidays each year, but as we pick a ton of elderberries each year, I also used it as a basis for my jam recipe.
We loved it so much, we're spreading the word! We shot a video on baking tips and added a homemade crust recipe that works really well with it.