Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious treat from America's heartland. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- pastry for double-crust pie, unbaked (either storebought or your own recipe)
- 2 1⁄2 cups elderberries, washed and stemmed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Line a pie pan with pastry.
- Fill with cleaned elderberries.
- Mix dry ingredients together; sprinkle over berries.
- Add lemon juice.
- Cover with top crust, moisten edges and crimp attractively.
- Pierce top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for ten minutes; reduce heat to 350F and bake 30 minutes longer.
- Cool and serve.