Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
An old-fashioned recipe from the Wisconsin Dutch section of the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947.
- 8 quarts elderberries
- 2 quarts cold water
- 4 lbs sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 quarts whiskey or 2 quarts brandy
- Stem and wash berries.
- cover with water and cook until very soft; strain.
- Measure juice; for each quart, add 2 cups of sugar.
- Return to saucepan.
- Tie spices in bag and add to sugar/juice mixture.
- Cook until thick.
- Cool, remove spices and measure again.
- Add 1 pint liquor for each quart of syrup.
- Bottle and cork tightly.
- Let sit in cool dark place for at least three weeks.
- Improves with age.