Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe was given to me while living in Argentina, however, the source is from the Lehman family in Utah. Our family has used this sauce mostly for BBQ Chicken Pizza, but we have also used it for grilled chicken served over rice. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar (Apple Cider or White)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk to combine--it may look like it won't come together, but trust me and keep stirring. It will eventually all come together.
- Once you can't see any of the individual ingredients (i.e. mustard), the sauce is ready to use.
- ** Do not use an electric mixer/KitchenAid/blender/etc. They mix the sauce too fast and causes it to thicken too much. Mixing by hand takes longer, but is definitely worth it.
I needed a barbeque sauce QUICK and this one was not only quick but easy too. I used grade B maple sugar and simmered it for a while to thicken it up and blend the flavors. This is sweet more than tangy and obviously isn't meant to be one of those 'deep and complex' sauces, but for what it is, it's delicious! We used this on ribs that were smoked with recipe #353302 and DH preferred it over the store-bought KC barbeque sauce. I'll definitely be saving this recipe to use again! Thanks for posting!
This was good! A little bit sweet for us... maybe just the kind of maple syrup we used?? Next time I think I will reduce the syrup to 1/3 cup. Great base recipe though!