Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From 365 Ways to Cook Pasta.
- 8 ounces escarole, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- parmesan cheese
- Combine escarole and water in a saucepan. Cook, covered, over low heat until escarole is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Do not drain. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the oil; stir in garlic; saute over low heat until soft and fragrant without browning, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste until blended. Add the chickpeas; stir to coat with oil.
- Mash about 1/4 of the chickpeas with the back of the spatula. Add pepper. Remove from heat.
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling salted water. Drain.
- Briefly reheat the escarole mixture. Combine with the elbows. Serve with plenty of cheese grated on top.