Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is the best Challah in our neighborhood. I tried it and had to have the recipe. It takes a while to make, but most of that time is rising time or time in the bread machine. Don't worry though, it's worth it!
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, just under
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast or 2 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1 egg, mixed with water
- extra flour, for braiding
- Put ingredients in the bread maker in the order suggested by the manufacturer (usually wet ingredients and salt, followed by dry ingredients, and then yest) Run the dough cycle on the bread machine.
- Lay the dough out on a floured surface and separate it into three sections.
- Roll each section into a 12 inch rope and braid the dough, using additional flour if needed Put the dough on a greased baking tray and place it in a warm, moist place to rise for 1-2 hours (it should at least double in size) Brush with the egg mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven (350) for about 30 minutes until it begins to brown on top.
- Alternative: Instead of braiding the dough, break it into small balls and arrnage them to make a mountain of balls.
- This preparation is great for kids who love to pull it apart at the table!