3 hrs 30 mins
This is the best Challah in our neighborhood. I tried it and had to have the recipe. It takes a while to make, but most of that time is rising time or time in the bread machine. Don't worry though, it's worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put ingredients in the bread maker in the order suggested by the manufacturer (usually wet ingredients and salt, followed by dry ingredients, and then yest) Run the dough cycle on the bread machine.
- 2Lay the dough out on a floured surface and separate it into three sections.
- 3Roll each section into a 12 inch rope and braid the dough, using additional flour if needed Put the dough on a greased baking tray and place it in a warm, moist place to rise for 1-2 hours (it should at least double in size) Brush with the egg mixture.
- 4Bake in a preheated oven (350) for about 30 minutes until it begins to brown on top.
- 5Alternative: Instead of braiding the dough, break it into small balls and arrnage them to make a mountain of balls.
- 6This preparation is great for kids who love to pull it apart at the table!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elana's Incredible Challah (egg bread)
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 209.6
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 31.0 mg
- Sodium 304.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 4.8 g