Grab your holiday cookie cutters and get busy on these wonderful cookies!!! The kids will enjoy making these cookies as much as they like eating them! YUM! Use your favorite icing, frosting, or glaze on them, then decorate or sprinkle some jimmy's or holiday sprinkles or candies on them! You can make these for any holiday party, but they are good anytime! ALSO: A trick I learned when doing sugar cookies, is to flour your cookie cutters if you notice the dough starting to stick to them when you are cutting them out. Just make sure you tap the cookie cutter after flouring, so you don't get too much on the cookies. ANOTHER TIP: When measuring flour, spoon tablespoonfuls into the measuring cup and DO NOT pack down. DO NOT scoop flour from the flour bag or container holding flour, as you don't get the right measurements, and your cookie dough will come out dry and crumbly. ( I got this tip for world famous baker, Nick Malgieri, at a cooking show in Chapel Hill NC a few years ago)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, to chill dough before rolling.
- Roll dough thickly. (about 1/4"). If you roll them too thin, they are hard to work with.
- Cut shapes, and put on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Frost with your favorite frosting, icing, or glaze.