Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
State Fair Recipes
- 2 1⁄4 ounces yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 5 cups flour
- 5 cups bread flour
- Proof yeast in 1/2 cup water with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- In large bowl add milk, sugar, shortening and salt.
- Add cold water to cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in yeast, 2 cups flour and 2 cups bread flour.
- Beat well until smooth. By hand, stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn onto floured surface and knead 10 minutes till dough is smooth.
- Place in greased bowl; cover with towel and let rise until doubled in size, 2 hours.
- Punch down dough and let rise 30 minutes; divide into 4 pieces.
- Shape into oblongs.
- Grease 4 loaf pans.
- Put loafs into pans and grease tops of loafs.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake 45 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Butter tops of loaves.