Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love this dressing at El Torito. I could sit there and just eat it with a spoon. I found this copy-cat recipe and I wanted to post it so I can make it myself, and secretly eat it straight from the jar :-)
- 2 medium anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1⁄3 cup roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons grated Cotija cheese (you can also use Parmesan cheese if you cannot find Cotija)
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro, stemmed
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Place all dressing ingredients except cilantro, mayonnaise and water in a blender of food processor.
- Blend approximately 10 seconds, and then add cilantro little by little until blended smooth.
- Depending on size of blender, it may be necessary to do in batches.
- Place mayonnaise and water in a large stainless steel bowl, and mix with a wire whip until smooth.
- Add the blended ingredients to the mayonnaise mixture, and mix thoroughly.
- Place in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Will keep for three days.
This dressing is fantastic, but holy moly it is fattening! I replaced the mayo with yogurt and it tastes exactly the same! Delicious!
This recipe really is good! Thanks for sharing.
This is excellent except for one tiny thing. The first time I made this it seemed like something was missing... A few squeezes of lime juice and it was perfect. This dressing also is wonderful for making fish tacos. Corn tortillas lightly browned, fish of your choice breaded or not, cabbage, cotija, diced tomatoes and this dressing over top. (Of course you can add whatever else you like.) Delicioso!