Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love this dressing at El Torito. I could sit there and just eat it with a spoon. I found this copy-cat recipe and I wanted to post it so I can make it myself, and secretly eat it straight from the jar :-)
- 2 medium anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1⁄3 cup roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons grated Cotija cheese (you can also use Parmesan cheese if you cannot find Cotija)
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro, stemmed
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Place all dressing ingredients except cilantro, mayonnaise and water in a blender of food processor.
- Blend approximately 10 seconds, and then add cilantro little by little until blended smooth.
- Depending on size of blender, it may be necessary to do in batches.
- Place mayonnaise and water in a large stainless steel bowl, and mix with a wire whip until smooth.
- Add the blended ingredients to the mayonnaise mixture, and mix thoroughly.
- Place in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Will keep for three days.
This dressing is fantastic, but holy moly it is fattening! I replaced the mayo with yogurt and it tastes exactly the same! Delicious!
I halved the recipe, used Greek yogurt, 1tbls of light mayo and 2tbls evoo to cut the calories. I forgot to add the chiles but it still tasted great. My new go to recipe when preparing any Mexican dishes!
I was actually searching for a copycat recipe for El Pollo Loco's creamy cilantro dressing, but nothing I found sounded right. I love their's but WOW! this is even better. I never go to to El Torito, so can't comment on how close it is to the original, but this is excellent -- just what I was hoping for. Thank you! My search is over. :)