Recipe by Teddy's Mommy
Recipe from El Torito Mexican restaurant, Los Angeles, CA. Source Los Angeles Times 12-26-96.
Top Review by HealRacMT
I used to work for El Torito for 2 & 1/2 years and ate this soup most of my shifts. I made this recipe and it was EXACTLY the same! I was amazed! I like to add just a dallop of sour cream to my bowl. It's delicious!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2838.0 ml chicken broth
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 boiling potato, diced
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2.46 ml chipotle chile in adobo, pureed
- 4.92 ml pickled jalapeno pepper, chile seeded chopped
- 4.92 ml dried Mexican oregano
- 0.59 ml cumin
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 29.58 ml sweet sherry (preferably Harvey's Bristol Cream)
- 14.79 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 14.79 ml of fresh mint, chopped
- 4 corn tortillas (cut into thin strips)
- 226.79 g monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 slice avocados
- fresh cilantro leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Poach chicken breast in simmering chicken broth until done through, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle and shred.
- Combine chicken broth, chicken, red onion, carrots, potato, tomato paste, bay leaf, garlic, chipotle and jalapeno chilies, oregano, cumin and salt and pepper in large saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Correct seasoning, if necessary.
- Add zucchini, squash, pepper, lime juice and Sherry.
- Bring again to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add cilantro and mint.
- Stir, then remove from heat.
- To assemble, fry tortilla strips in hot oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Ladle soup into each bowl.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and tortilla strips.
- Garnish each bowl with avocado slice and sprig cilantro. Serve at once.