Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a nice simple dish to put together, I usually scale this down to serve one when hubby's not home for dinner and eat straight from the dish, it's a great healthy one dish meal, could even be a fancy brekky if you like.
- 375 g broccoli
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw rice
- 2 mushroom stock cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, diced
- 3 cups boiling water
- 5 -6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup tasty cheese, shredded
- Break the broccoli into small pieces and rinse well, place into a greased casserole and add the rice, crumbled stock cubes, seasonings & capsicum.
- Carefully pour the boiling water over & stir gently, cook uncovered at 180.C for approx 30-40 mins or until the rice has absorbed the liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Make 5-6 depressions into the surface of the rice mixture and break an egg into each, scatter with cheese and return to oven until eggs are set & cheese melted.
A very tasty and quick-to-prepare week-night meal. I halved the recipe for just two of us, so there's some left over for another meal for one. The only changes I made were to use my Vegetable Stock Recipe #135453 instead of water, and to add 2 cloves of finely minced garlic. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders 2008.
This got a big "yummm" from hubby, so that's 5 stars in my book. This was a perfect meal for my super lazy Saturday... I really did not feel like cooking but didn't want take out. So simple, yet still pretty healthy. I used a whole grain mixture instead of rice, which naturally took more time to cook. I didn't change the amount of water and it worked fine. I used 3 eggs and a low fat extra sharp cheddar. Thanks for posting! I would make it again.
Fabulous week nigt vegetarian meal - mine did take much longer to cook - closer to an hour but I think that is my ovens fault - this was so tasty and enjoyed by the whole family - I added a few chopped mushies to enhance mushroon stock cubes - thanks for posting mandy from oz