Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
A unique combination of Tex-Mex flavors that is mouth-watering. This recipe has spread like wild-fire among my friends and extended family members. The addition of fresh cilantro is wonderful, but I usually don't have any on hand and the dish is fine without.
- 2 -3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 24 ounces salsa
- 5 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 15 ounces refried beans (fat free is good)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- sour cream
- Heat oven to 350° and grease 9 x 12 baking dish.
- (Optional) Combine salsa and cilantro in medium bowl.
- Tear tortillas into pieces (approx 2 inches square).
- Spread 1/2 cup of salsa mixture in bottom of dish and cover with 1/2 of the tortilla pieces.
- Dot 1/2 of the refried beans over the tortillas.
- Layer 1/2 of the chicken and 1/2 of the cheese.
- Top with remaining salsa mix and repeat layering of tortillas, beans, chicken & cheese.
- Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream.
- Note: To prepare cooked, shredded chicken, I bake boneless chicken breasts for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool and pull apart with fork or fingers.
This was just so-so for us. It was very bland. I made it exactly as written, but next time I would make some changes. I would spice up the chicken before I cooked it with some mexican spice mix, and I'd also add some sliced jalapeno's and maybe some cumin to the beans. I would make this again, but only with those changes. Made for PAC Spring 09.