Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is NOT an El Pollo Loco "copycat" recipe. It's a similar, not exact flavor. This is generally enough for six bone-in, skin on chicken thighs. Cooking time is an estimate of grilling time (depending upon protein you're grilling) plus MINIMUM marinating time, so plan ahead if you want to marinate longer or need more grilling time.
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄8 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄8 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, partially crushed but left whole
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste, I use Tabasco.)
- Whisk ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Pour over chicken (or other meat) in a resealable plastic bag. Place in a leak-proof dish.
- Marinate at least 30 minutes, but no longer than 3 hours as the marinade is citrus based.
I marinated 8 drumsticks for an hour and a half and turned the bag several times. I was disappointed as I thought the citrus flavor would be more prominent. I don't know if longer marination would improve things or a reduction in oil would be more beneficial. I'm glad I tried the recipe though so thank you for sharing the recipe!