Recipe by LsuGrrl
El Pollo Loco knock-off recipe. This is it, from Nancy Berry from the Orange County Register newspaper. The company used to sell a dry seasoning packet that you just added the juice too, but I cant find it anymore. This is as close as you will get to the origianal
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mild chili pepper, remove stem and seeds from chiles, finely minced (Anaheim or California)
- 8 drops yellow food coloring (but accurate) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 lbs frying chicken, cut up
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate chicken in zip-lock bag over-nite.
- Reserve 1/4 cup marinade to baste while cooking, making sure the chicken cooks on both sides minutes AFTER basting the final time--we don't want our Italian friend Sal Monilla to show up :-).
- Grill over indirect heat, turning 4 times, 12 minutes each time.
- Serve with your favorite tortillas, rice and Borracho beans.